Grandma

I am going to write about a very sweet person. Some know her as a mother, friend, aunt, but I know her as grandma. She is my dad's mom and lives far far away from me. I don't get to see her as often as I would like, but I think that makes each visit that much more special. When I was younger my parents were very good at going to visit grandma and family a couple times a year. I remember the long road trips that took 8 hours. My siblings and I sitting in the back of the van goofing off the entire ride. Some of those memories are the most dear to me.

I remember when I was younger, grandma was always so sausy. She was crass and funny and not afraid to put us in our place. I also remember her always telling me how much I was loved. Loved by her, my parents, my aunts and uncles. She is a great great woman.

A few years ago, grandma started showing signs of Alzheimer's. The family first just saw it as forgetfulness due to old age, but after awhile it was quite obvious it was a bit more than that. This past Thanksgiving we went and spent it with my dad's side of the family. Grandma was smiley and wonderful as always, but it was horrible because she had no idea who I was. I didn't think it would be that tough to deal with because I had known this was going to happen one day. How are you supposed to be ok with it though? I mean this woman always had the funniest stories to tell. I think I might have learned my first swear word from her. She thought it was so funny to take her teeth out in front of us when we were little. All these memories are from this woman who is so great, and she doesn't remember me anymore. It's almost like they have never happened becuase she can't remember any of it. Anyone that has had to deal with this disease before knows how confusing and heartbreaking it is for the family.

My parent's just got back from visiting grandma and her outlook doesn't look good. I am so blessed to have been her granddaughter and to have enjoyed the time that I have gotten to spend with her. She has greatly enriched my life and I am sl blessed to have such a fun and loving grandma. Love you grandma!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year, Better Andrea

Valentine's Day....because, February

an uncomfortable clothing choice