random memory from my childhood

i went camping-ish this past weekend for my friend kim's birthday. her kids were catching frogs by the lake...or pond...or reservoir... im not sure what they call it here. anyway, it reminded me of a funny story from my childhood.

i must have been about 11 or twelve and it was summer. we lived in the 'country'....about 5 mins outside of town. not exactly country for wyoming, but for michigan it was country. we had a pool that was surrounded by trees. this meant that there was tree frogs always getting into our pool.

i must have just watched a program about poisonous frogs, or read a book about them. either way, my over-active imagination made sure that i considered all frogs poisonous after that.

so because its summer and i dont have school and was 11....or 12...i basically lived in the pool the entire time. im an aquarius. i love the water....which is neither here nor there...im not sure why i am rambling so much....anyway, back to my story. im sure you all know where this is going.

i used to love catching critters all the time. i used to catch snakes that camped under our pool deck with my mom's kitchen tongs...but one fateful day, i caught a tree frog. my new knowledge of poisonous amazonian frogs fresh in my mind. the instant this new little tree frog was in my hand....a jet stream of pee shoots out of it. but to my 11/12 year old mind, it was poison. i throw the frog (hopefully it landed in a nice bed of leaves) and jumped in the pool, hoping the chlorine will save my contaminated frog poisoned hand. it did. considering i still have my hand.

it was about 5 years before i realized that the frog most likely just peed on me. my imagination is insane. i blame my parents...because i can. it really isnt their fault.

another funny pool story for you.

because i was a horribly mean sister, i made up a very cruel story to scare my sister. when we were younger, we used to love swimming until all hours of the night. one night, i was extremely tired after swimming all day but had to wait until alli was done swimming before i could go to bed. my mom didnt want us swimming alone (great parenting mom). so instead of telling alli to get out of the pool, i thought it was more effective to make up a scary story. i told her that at the stroke of midnight a huge anaconda would come out of our backyaard and go into the pool. the snake would eat anything that was in the pool when he entered it. this story worked on alli's 7 year old self. but it also backfired too. because i started to believe it too. it wasnt until i was about 17 that i would swim in our pool at night.

just some funny summer stories for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year, Better Andrea

Valentine's Day....because, February

an uncomfortable clothing choice